Friday, July 15, 2011

Food Memory: Borough Market Toasted Cheese.

Of all the food I tried in London, a toasted cheese sandwich was one of my favorites. Melted Montgomery Cheddar cheeses, finely diced leeks and red onion, and garlic sandwiched between buttered Poilane sourdough. The answer you're looking for is Yes.

Kristin and I headed to Borough Market in Southwark one day to see what there was to see and specifically to try the toasted cheese sandwiches. Total heaven. When I got back home I made my own version with gruyere, fontina, and white cheddar on rye, which was pretty good, but nothing like the original. The leeks make the sandwich, so if you decide to try making it, don't leave them out.

This sandwich will always remind me of a warm spring day in London after the morning rain had cleared out, eating a delicious toasted cheese sandwich on the steps near Southwark Cathedral. The memory is that much more important to me because the company that provides such delicious fried goodness (Kappacasein) doesn't trade at Borough Market anymore. I found this notice on their website:

"NEWS: We are no longer trading at Borough Market. We have been forced to find a new home for our market stall after being caught up in a dispute over loyalties. Please come and see us at the reopening of the stall at what will also be our new cheese making premises in Bermondsey."

I'm glad I got to experience it when I did, though, and I will always associate toasted cheese with Borough Market.

3 comments:

JOSHATALIE said...

I want that sandwich and NOW!

Cara & Clarence Jessop said...

I second Natalie!

Kristin Lowe said...

That was such a good day!